- adjective(used of society) socially hierarchical-
American society is becoming increasingly stratified• Syn: ↑stratified
* * *\\ˈ ̷ ̷ˌ ̷ ̷ ̷ ̷\ adjective: actively aware of one's position or of one's responsibilities or privileges as a member of a particular social or economic class or of one's identity of interest or common status with others of the same class usually as against other such classes; especially : actively aware in this way of one's membership in the proletariat• class consciousness noun
* * *classˈ-conscious adjectiveClearly or acutely conscious of membership of a social class• • •Main Entry: ↑class
* * *class-conscious UK US adjectiveinfluenced by a strong feeling of belonging to a particular social class and noticing differences between the classesThesaurus: social class and attitudes to classhyponym from an upper class familysynonymDerived Word: class-consciousness
* * *adj [more \class-conscious; most \class-conscious]: having or showing a lot of awareness about which economic or social level a person is in : thinking that a person's economic or social class is important
She was never very class-conscious, so it surprised her when her classmates talked about the “rich kids” and “poor kids” on campus.
We live in a class-conscious society.class-consciousness noun [noncount]
* * *very aware of belonging to a particular social class and of the differences between social classesDerived Word: ↑class-consciousness
Useful english dictionary. 2012.